15 September 2008

Ivanov, by Chekhov

Ivanov, by Chekhov, a Donmar Warehouse's production at the Wyndham's Theatre, London.

I read this play some months before I went to watch this production. When I read it, I liked it very much, but watching this production was very disappointing to me. I didn't like the approach of this director, which in my opinion took away the most interesting aspect of Chekhov's play and made it an ordinary meaningless superficial comedy.

Ivanov who is in constant oscillation between ecstasy and depression (characteristics of his despair) was turned into this middle-aged crisis man, which was the whole time depressed with a defeated posture.

I don't mean the actors. The actors were all great! What I really didn't like was the direction.

At the end, I clapped especially to Kevin R McNally.

Website of this production

No comments: